Most people consider digital playback to be sonically inferior to analog playback, whether tape or vinyl. Playback Designs wanted to match or better the critical areas where they felt analog had superior advantages without losing the benefits of great digital playback. The new Sonoma series consists of 4 products that take the meaning of "Swiss Army Knife" to a whole new level, because there is no physical media or file format that could not be played on this system. Even analog sources can be converted to high resolution digital and then be played back.
The Merlot D/A converter is the first in history to also offer recording capability direct to hard disk. Anything you want to do with audio, digital or analog, this system can do it.
The Merlot is a state-of-the-art discrete converter accepting any digital format and sample rate up to quad DSD via its AES / SPDIF / USB and PLink (proprietary ST fiber-optic) interfaces.
Integrated DAC / Headphone Amp
- Up to 384kHz PCM and up to 11.2MHz DSD
- USB, AES, Coax, PLink inputs
- Headphone output with separate volume control
- Balanced and unbalanced line level outputs
- Differential discrete DAC (standard “Playback Designs” architecture)
- Software upgradeable by end user
- Recording software for file creation on computer