How to Open a New iTunes Library
To open a new iTunes library, you need to tell iTunes where to find the library. Follow these simple steps:
- Quit all applications
- Launch iTunes by clicking on the iTunes icon in your Dock (or in your Applications folder) while holding down the OPTION key
- iTunes will prompt you to either Quit, Create Library or Choose Library
- Click on Choose Library
- The next dialog box will be “Open iTunes Library” (lower photo). You may need to click on a Down Arrow to get the detailed view as pictured below
- Select the folder (in this example, “iTunes Mac Pro”) and click on Choose
- Your library will open with all your music, artwork etc.
- Going forward, you do not need to hold down the OPTION key when launching iTunes, unless you want to point to a new or different iTunes library
Pay close attention to the location of your library. The folder and library you are opening should reside on the storage device of your choosing (e.g. G-Tech drive or drive arrays, etc.). You can tell by looking at the left-hand side under “Devices.” Then be sure to select the iTunes Library folder within this folder, as pictured below.